Sunday, October 12, 2008

A day of travel

What an adventure the travel has been. The total trip took me 27+ hours. The biggest lesson for those who want to do the same? Practice your patience: the visa line in Nairobi alone took me 1.5+hrs :)

All my travel for work came in handy today, as I was able to use miles to upgrade myself to business class. It was so nice to sleep.

The best part was the layover in London. I walked off the plane and the first thing I saw in the airport was a bunch of people from all over the world gathered around a TV. I looked up and, yes, they were all watching Sarah Palin give a speech - eyes glued. I had to snap a phone pic (see below).


My first day in Nairobi has been packed meeting with impact partners in the field. One meeting was a mastermind session where we brainstormed new ways of making an impact at an orphanage. The locals told us stories about their culture, including the basic premise that "a man is only a man if he can build a shelter over his family's head". We're discussing how to incorporate shelter into the "total package" we're already giving with HUB (now food, water, education, and mirco-loans). The potential to make a difference here is so great.

As soon as I get my real camera working, I'll begin posting shots of the land and people.

On last thing... I picked up a local paper and the headline was 'KENYA'S VISION 2030'. They dedicated the entire paper to explaining their vision - where they want to me in 2030. It was astounding as it outlined every facet of the state's plan (from political changes, to social changes, to educational goals, to women's rights, and much more). I was quite powerful and made me wonder what would be possible if the USA created and published such a vision for the country. I'm already learning from Africa.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Elizabeth,
You are amazing! What an inspiration to all--especially women. I wish you much luck on your charitable endeavor and will continue to read your posts.
best wishes for much success,
Pierette

ps. I am involved with an international charitable organization: zonta.org.

www.pierettesimpson.com

Unknown said...

What a fantastic way to share your experience, you tech-savvy blogger you. Thanks for doing this! Looking forward to hearing more.

Jen said...

Hi Elizabeth! Habari yako? What an amazing endeavor. I had no idea you were involved in such work. It is also very near and dear to my heart. I would love to learn more about what your organization is doing. I am sure you have a whole itinerary planned out, but let me know if you want any tips for the area and I will ask Njenga. He is from a village about 20 minutes from Thika, but also knows Nairobi well. Can't wait to hear more.

Lesley's old friend, Jen

Silver Lining said...

Hey Elizabeth,
Reading your blog takes me with you and is something I so enjoy.
Much light and love on your journey.
Andra

Unknown said...

Hello Elizabeth:

This is obviously an extensive trip that I going to be both rewarding and exhausting at the same time. I'm sure you are happy you are in a position to do this!

Alyssa Nobriga and Laurel Lewis said...

So glad to be reading about what is going on with you. Hope you are well. I am thinking of you!!!