Saturday, October 18, 2008

The richness of poverty

Kibera is the largest slum in all of Africa. Now stop for just a minute and think of this - the largest slum in Africa, not just Kenya... all of Africa. We headed there to visit children we support.

I was tired and as I leaned my head on the bus window, I began to notice unusual graffiti. Signs that echoed "peace" and "love" were everywhere. I passed the poorest of living situations, and yet they seemed full with a certain sense of purpose. Every 500 feet or so I saw references to peace and love.

One of the women told us that Kibera simply "decided to stand for peace". And now, that's what we see. Amazing, in the darkest of neighborhoods the light of peace shines through greater than any neighborhood I've ever seen in the world.

The graffiti you see here was everywhere: on curbs, on sides of shacks, on fences, in alley ways and more... The part of me that saw everyone around me seeming to be starving couldn't help but wonder - how did they find the paint to feed their soul? For all of you in your 30s who watched afterschool specials... that's one to grow on :)

After much traffic and bumpy dirt roads, we reached "Olympic Primary School". I was greeted by Obama's cousin (no joke see the picture). And then we spent the day with the kids. This school has room for about 300-400 kids, yet schools 2600. Not one classroom would pass a "fire hazard test" or any sort of personal space limit. The kids greeted us by putting on a huge performance (typical African tradition). They were fabulous. They sat us in the center of the courtyard like Kings and Queens. Uncomfortable in the center, I went to work, capturing everything I could on video. Occasionally I shared my video camera with the students and because they had never seen one, they loved it more than I could've ever imagined.

Remember, this is a public (free) school in the largest slum in Africa. Many of these children come from families who cannot afford to eat. HUB, the organization I helped start, is now feeding every child in this school two times a day. As I interviewed teachers, I found out that the food is what keeps them coming to school and able to focus long enough to learn. One teacher told me these kids are so grateful for food and school that they study very hard and recently the primary school scored well above average on all the standardized tests. They are becoming well known for academics! He looked at me with amazing pride and a glimmer in his eye and he said, "Many are not going on to University and we just found out that one of our own is now a Doctor". It's strange to say, but food is a key ingredient to education here in Kenya. I don't know how to describe the feeling I felt knowing something I helped start was making this sort of impact.

I spent the day with the kids getting to know the kids. They are so smart. I asked them if they had questions for me about the US. They wanted to know who I thought would win the election: McCain or Obama (their words). They wanted to know about our voting booths. And they wanted to know if kids get "beat". I asked them about school, life, everything. I asked them why everyone must wear uniforms and the response was unexpected: so that if we get beaten or hurt, they know where we're from. It's a tough life, yet look at their beaming faces. They are pure love. They are a true testament that our circumstances never create our reality. The kids took turns taking these pictures. None of them had ever used a camera.

I hope you're enjoying the ride as much as I am.

With love,
Elizabeth

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is obvious from both this and the last blog that you are truly enjoying what you are doing, and are having a wonderful time doing so. I'm sure you're happy that you are fortunate enough to be able to do this kind of a journey, and seeing the pics shows how much they truly appreciate what you do as well.

Unknown said...

Wow - I'm so moved Elizabeth. Beautiful...everyone is just so beautiful! xo deb

Silver Lining said...

I am so proud of you and your loving courageous heart, Elizabeth.
I have a quote on my computer and I attempt to live by it... you do live by it and you inspire me.

"Let the beauty of who you are
be what you do!"
I so enjoy your trip.
love
Andra