Friday, October 17, 2008

A magical day of hope and pride

This trip has been full of what I call "life-astounding experiences". I'm going to start with day 1...

I began the day leading the HUB (Humanity Unites Brilliance) group in a "getting to know each other" exercise. Everyone here shared from their heart. It's an amazing group of people.

We promptly left for "The Abandoned Baby Center" (ABC). Every 10min a baby is orphaned or abandoned in Kenya - many because their mothers have HIV. Most babies are found or brought to this place barely alive. Feed The Children created ABC to help these kids (giving them food, clothing, education, and most importantly hope). I saw literally hundreds of kids whos lives were completely transformed (an understatement). My greatest joy was looking into the eyes of the kids (babies and young kids alike). They have such love and such hope. They are happy to be alive. And beyond that, they are thankful. Some have HIV, many have disabilities... and yet they all seem happy. Do you know that "African spirit" that is often talked about (from Oprah, etc.)? It existed beyond my wildest imagination. It was something I'll never forget.

The journey with the kids today brought out my greatest fears and my greatest love. They were often dirty, with runny noses and such... and many were sick... I worried for a minute about my own health, and then remembering my educaton about HIV/Aids I knew I was safe and I jumped into just loving them.

This first picture is of me reading with one of the boys. I pointed to Larry Jones (Founder of Feed The Children) and said "Larry". Then I closed the brochure. He open it up again, pointed to the same picture and said, "Larry!" He was so smart.

Another thing that happened today was that I re-connected with my passion for photography & documentary filmmaking. Wildly, I began taking pictures and video. I captured so many precious moments. I'm inspired to "document" again. Here's a picture I took of another little boy. I love this one.

There's one last thing I'd like to share. Lately, as the economy turned in the US I hear (and feel) the grim outlook permeating our nation. The government, big business, and my personal least fav - a decline in our "perception" globally. Well, today, I walked into the warehouse at ABC and the entire room was filled with bags of food, not only to feed the kids at ABC but to feed 200,000 kids monthly (each with 2 meals a day). ALL of the bags had American flags on them and said "US AID from the American People". The thought that we, as a nation, support the world in this way was overwhelming. In the midst of everything going on at home, I felt a giant sense of pride for our country. Just thought I'd share that with y'all :)

E

2 comments:

Lorelei Shellist said...

Oh Elizabeth, WOW I am so proud of you. What a life changing experience this is for you. I love the pic of you and the boy. Your light of love is just shining through. I had tears. your writing is pure and descriptive. Thanks for sharing this with me. I can't wait for the next one. Me- I am up to my ears in Publishing, starting radio interviews soon. It's scary, exciting and authentic.
Bless you beautiful soul and be safe.
Love Lorelei- (Nick sends wishes too!)

francesca said...

Elizabeth, I see the importance for you to try to make a "documentary film" so that everyone can see through your eyes what you are experiencing. I know that with your filmography and writing skills as well as your generous spirit, passion and love for humanity, you will make a HUGE IMPACT on the minds and hearts of the masses. Be strong and take care Elizabeth, your voice needs to be heard. Love, MOM